Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Jun 13 2007

The day I left San Francisco to Israel I hadn't slept. It's not for lack of trying - just that if I was going to have to wake up early to catch a flight then it would be easier to not sleep and have my devilish grin up and running at the word go. I ripped a bunch of tracks from Limewire, the strokes, interpol, french kicks, the walkmen, clipse - anything I could to get prepared. Be ready for a flight into obliivion. I was taking no chances, my passport was tapped to my waist - I would have sewed it to my arm if I would've had some string. I had my ID and Credit card ready to go at a moments notice. The only thing I didn't have was a working knowledge of Hebrew- or any knowledge for that matter. Was I too be condemned to the classless ranks of other dumb americans before me?
A slave of my hubris?
Yakked out I was afraid the trip I was about to take was a dream I would wake up from before I took off. Like crystal pepsi and summer time it would be gone before I could ever get the taste of it. A trip like this was unheard off, I'm the middle son of a middle class family, in the middle of a egocentric examination of all things debauchery. I didn't know what I expected to find, faith? God? Country? Fellowship? Other people who didn't eat bacon?
I caught a cab at 7 in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed. With my bags in the trunk and charm in my smile and a full wallet I headed toward the Bart stations at Powell street and adventure.
I got off Bart at the Oakland Coliseum and caught the airBart bus to the Oakland Airport. Coming from the sunshine of San Francisco to Oakland is like traveling through Conrads Heart of Darkness. Every station a little more dangerous, more shifty people, more bad intent.
I got off at the Airport and grabbed my stuff. There were two Christian tourists on the airBart bus with me, confused by the Airport I helped them to there terminal and waited with them in the security line. They were spreading message of Christ to San Francisco - I covered my mouth with my hand and hoped none of it would get on me.
Since I decided to bring my only piece of luggage as carry on security decided to tear it up. They threw out my shampoo, my soap, my toothpaste, my deodorant and my dignity. All I had left was some wrinkled clothes, and a shocker flashlight. A shocker flashlight?
It's a tricked out flash light that gives you a jolt when you try to turn it on. They loved it at airport security. The guy who went through my gear gave it to all his cronies - they giggled like little girls at a tea party. After he gave it back to me and helped me pack it into my carry on I asked if I could have my other unopened sundries back, as I thought in my mind that I had proved I wasn't a terrorist. He gave me a shocked look and said no.
Asshole.

No comments: